Thursday, January 22, 2009

Gluten Free Travel Tips.

Having traveled all over the world.

These are my simple tips for the Gluten Free Traveler.
Ok, let's just be REALLY honest! As a Celiac I just
assume that EVERYTHING is trying to kill me!!!

I then work backwards from that. You cannot
even begin to think that the airlines or hotels or
dear friends can begin to understand that like
air "Gluten is everywhere". So in order to avoid
any " Situations" shall we say. It is best to be prepared!

Small cans of V-8 juice can be heated in the microwave
or on the stove and make a great tomato soup.
I look for this in airports if I am hungry. With a
small bag of chips or nuts and a few slices of cheese I am
set for awhile. Larabee bars the cherry is divine pack well.
A few packets of a Gluten Free protein shake mix are
also good to have in your bag. They can be mixed with water,
milk or juice.

In Europe I had fantastic Gluten Free breads, Madeline.
cookies and Baguettes. Almost ALL pharmacies in Italy and
France carry several lines of Gluten Free products. You
simply go in and ask for the list. If it is not in stock
they will have it the next day! I was so impressed that
they had this all in order in 2001. Order a few of the
breads in advance if you are traveling they pack well.

In England and the rest of the UK. Holland and Barrett was my
top choice. They are very well stocked and have the custard
cream cookies I love.
Spain has the most amazing food.
It is my top choice for a food related trip as of this
writing.
Japan and Asia is good as rice is everywhere. But a Celiac
can not live by rice alone. I packed several small bottles
filled with Bragg's Liquid Amino Acids and was off and
ready to go.


When visiting friends in the states I just send a box of food
ahead to their house! They do not have to fret
over where to find what and I know that it is all
taken care of! My "Box-o-Food" usually contains
2-4 packages of "Ener-G Foods" 2 slice packets of
"Papas Loaf bread" and "Raisin Bread" or some
of those amazing gluten free bagels from "Sterks
Bakery in Canada" and a box of rice or some other
gluten free pasta. I also add some of my own seasonings.
Since most of my friends are also epicureans we tend to
all have the same things in our kitchens. However, I do not
count on that and plan in advance.

ALWAYS send it 4-5 days ahead and keep the tracking number
of when you expect to arrive, and alert your host
or hostess that it is due to arrive! If it needs to be put
in the refrigerator then WRITE IT ON THE BOX!
This makes it so much easier for you and those
you visit! I keep a few " Priority Mail" stamps and
some of these products ready to go in case I am
invited on some great adventure! Which happens often.
This way when you arrive you do not have to worry
about trying to shop for something to eat! If you
enjoy cereal in the morning then put a few cups in
a zip-lock plastic bag and toss those in as well!

I also pack ALL my foods in zip lock bags. To prevent a tragic
"Situation" of something exploding in your bag.

Bon Voyage!


Copyright 2008-2009 Estelle T. Chandler

No comments: