Thursday, December 17, 2009

Buche De Noel

Buche de Noel is a cake that is served during the Christmas season in France one of the many tidbits of it's history is that. Napoleon I issued a proclamation mandating that chimney flues remain closed during the winter months to prevent the cold winter from entering homes and making people ill.

In the Celtic tradition there is a Yule log that is lit to warm the fire during Christmas. Usually decorated to symbolize warmer times!

Buche de Noel, or "Yule log" is a delightful and elegant holiday dessert.

Buche de Noel traditionally begins with moist, rich sponge cake usually baked in a jellyroll pan While still a bit warm it is rolled into a cylindrical shape allowed to cool.Then filled with ingredients such as a fruit preserve usually cherry, raspberry or a butter cream.
Then the entire cake is frosted.this distinctive dessert is finished off with an outer layer of chocolate icing or butter cream that is then carefully textured to resemble the distinctive lines of tree bark. A dusting of cocoa and a bit powdered sugar to resemble the winter snow. Then meringue mushrooms are placed at various points to look like a log in the Forest.

I have always likes this tradition so I decided to make it for my friends and the man's family this year.
Gluten Free of course...I filled mine with a rich black raspberry seedless reduction and a bit of seedless jam mixed with a bit of corn starch to make it thicker. Then I made a rich chocolate butter cream. and Cest Bon!

I actually made two! For I used used the new Betty Crocker Gluten Free Devil's Food Cake mix it turned out very well! The key is to spread the batter thinly in your jelly roll pan! No more than 1/2 an inch thick.
For the other two I made my own recipe which was great as well...either way you make it enjoy the warmth of the Season...Gluten Free!


Copyright Estelle ETC Design 2009

No comments: